Sunday, March 7, 2010

Where Did He Go?

s583627838_941747_1402 Recently, I have pondered the fate of the self-assured and optimistic young man pictured here. It required finding this likeness in my digital archives as I couldn’t retrieve his image mentally. As fuzzy as the mental visage is the mind and philosophy. And yet, I remember certain things about him. He was so idealistic and I am so historic and realistic. He was so energetic and I am stolid. He had delusions of changing the world while I am more interested in survival.

True, there are some positive differences. He was nervous and his self-assuredness was more bravado than substance while I am comfortable in my skin. He was somewhat self-absorbed while I am more aware of circumstances and people around me. He was more easily angered and argumentative while I am more laid back and introspective.

At times I wish I could go back to the days of my youth, but in reality I recognize that, even if it were possible, it’s doubtful that I would do it much better the second time around. I guess I’ll just be content with who I have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment