Sunday, May 31, 2009

Something To Think About

One of my favorite scenes from Star Trek involves Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock. To one of the Captain's inquiries Spock replies; "I fail to understand the logic of your asking for my opinion on matters which you have already made up your mind" (or something to that effect). I have found this to be true in Life. People ask for your opinion when they don't really want it. They greet you with "how are you" when they really don't want to know, or do not care. This is really all more shameful when it concerns fellow members of the Body of Christ.

One of the greatest fault among the Corinthians is that they failed to "tarry one for another." They were more interested in satisfying themselves than considering the needs of others. They were guilty of "not discerning the Lord's body. This is the reason he told them the following;

(1 Cor 12:24-27) "For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: {25} That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. {26} And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. {27} Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular."

(1 Cor 10:23-24) "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. {24} Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth."

Other passages echo the same theme;

(Rom 12:5) "So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another."

(Phil 2:1-5) "If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, {2} Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. {3} Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. {4} Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. {5} Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:"


(1 Cor 13:1-7) "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. {2} And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. {3} And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. {4} Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, {5} Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; {6} Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; {7} Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."

Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment