Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Future Project

On the occasion of this writing my thinking is influenced by a conversation I had earlier with a new believer. This individual confessed to being new in the faith and expressed an interest in the differences between my Scriptural understandings with what he is being taught in a local Acts 2 oriented church.

It was a fascinating discussion in several ways, the first being that he approached me. I am more accustomed to being the initiator in discussions concerning spiritual matters, as many people are reluctant to share their faith. Secondly, he was singularly interested in the word “dispensation”. He had never heard the term in a Biblical context. And, finally, it was interesting because of the rapidity of his departure. I won’t say that he ran from my presence, but he leaped from his chair and said, “I’ve got to go” as he exited directly.

This was a disappointing conclusion to our discussion as I was impressed with his questions, and there were a number of points I would like to have shared with him. However, my disappointment is tempered with many years of experience in such encounters. It is very difficult to convey the essence of the dispensational approach to studying the Word of God in a brief conversation, even when the listener is interested and has initiated the discussion. In the words of the Apostle Peter, there are “some things hard to be understood” in the Scriptures. When Peter made this statement he was specifically speaking about the epistles of the Apostle Paul as they relate to unfulfilled prophetical events. Dispensationalism is the Biblical vehicle for sorting out seeming conflicts in Bible prophesies and concepts. It is not learned overnight and requires effort on the part of the serious student interested in understanding the Word of God.

On reflection, the reason my new friend beat such a hasty retreat lay in the fact that he needed to get back to work and I had delayed him. It would have been nice, and convenient, to present him with a short primer on the subject that he could have taken with him to study at a more opportune time. While there are many fine books, and pamphlets, that address these issues I have concluded to personalize it by composing my own. Not in a vain attempt to better other publications, but to present these ideas in my own words and within the framework of my own understanding. A presentation, if you will, not of what someone else believes, but of what I believe. This is a project that I hope to undertake in the near future assuming, of course, that I don’t become distracted by conflicting events or other distractions.

My sincerest wish is that this work will serve to edify other believers; to whet the appetite of the newest saint, or stimulate the desire in one saved many years who has never studied, to understand the Word of God. There is much confusion, today, in the Church where there should be none. The Scripture says "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Rom 10:17) God’s design is that each believer would have their faith grow in response to the Scriptures. He did not intend for this growth process to be daunting, but rather the natural product of God working in the life of the believer through His Word. It does require time and study; but the reward is an understanding of eternal value.

No comments:

Post a Comment